Sunday, June 13, 2010

Right on the money Patrick

Yup, I've been getting inquiries pretty regularly about the PCP, but indeed, like most small talk, regardless of the apparent level of enthusiasm, people only really seem interested in what I'd call the 'Family Feud' answer. I.e., which of the top ten answers do you fit into? Atkins perhaps?

And really to describe accurately what we're doing is a much more involved conversation--"Have you ever heard of Michael Pollan?'; 'Do you know how hard it is to avoid sugar?' It's Jeopardy-style, if you will, and really most people aren't looking for any sort of challenge when they're just shooting the breeze. I've probably just been annoying them.

From now on 'exercise and diet' it is!

4 comments:

  1. PCP seems eerily similar to Peace Corps in this regard; people will be interested and inquire, and then, oh, 30 seconds into your response, the eyes start to focus on some non-existent point 2 meters beyond your head and you can see that person mentally running through their shopping list or glancing around for the next "interesting" person.

    I'm either sticking with "D & E" or I'm going to make up something that's obviously ridiculous (e.g., 10-week midget wrestling classes, 1 gallon of coffee each morning, and eating only food cooked using Mr. T's "Flavor Wave").

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still like the question: Are you training for something? To which I answer, "For life."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Training for life, excellent answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! Brett, you crack me up!!! It's also kinda like when I try to tell people about the research ideas I had for my PhD...or even telling them what my degree, Interdisciplinary Ecology, even means. Ha! At least I'm practice at bullshitting...

    ReplyDelete