Friday, April 16, 2010

Got a nifty new Omron scale, the day one photo is up, and here are the starting stats:
78.3 Kg
24.5% Fat
"10" Visceral Fat (on scale of 0-30)
BMI: 27.1
Muscle: 36.7% 
I noticed on my scale Visceral fat didn't have the "%" sign, and after looking through the docs realised that apparently it's only useful in relative terms (getting the number lower is good, but the scale can't really tell how much of it you have). なるほど.
My stats are significantly better than when Patrick tested me a few weeks back. A few factors at play here. #1, I wasn't looking forward to having my manboobs on the 'net (still don't like it, but now I can appreciate the wisdom in it), #2 I wasn't employed (I really overate when bored, which was a lot of the time, frankly), and #3 I've been very careful about eating since Ren showed me the sugar video, which is a very interesting, scary, and long video about the health effects of eating sugar (and/or HFC). I'm guessing he got the link from Patrick? Anyway, avoiding sugar (or just about any other ubiquitous but completely unnecessary ingredient, frankly), really makes you think about your food.
Not sure what to do about the week 1 diet, as I'm in a new country, completely jetlagged, cooking my own very different food for the first time, etc. etc. There really is no "normal" here for me to cut in half. Anyway, I'll try to eat small portions.
This task reminds me of an old boss of mine, who, when eating together at a restaurant, would pause after eating exactly half his food (and usually stop there). Once, I asked him if he didn't like it, and he said something like: nah, it's good. But I always stop halfway and ask myself, is this one of the best I've had? And if it's good but not really one of those fantastic meals I'll be remembering years from now, and I'm not still hungry, I stop. If it's going to cost me time in the gym later, the food needs to earn it.
Ok, enough blabbering.. Here are my day 1 meals:
breakfast (remember, because of jetlag, these labels mean nothing): leftover chicken+rice+hummus, whole wheat & corn tortillas, raspberries, Tabouli salad.
lunch: celery, carrots, parsley. Rice cooked with onions and chicken liver, tortillas,
dinner: steamed corn (half), more tabouli salad, steamed sweat potato, hard boiled egg, skim milk (half)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, the first week...seems like it was so long ago.
    Anyway I think you'll be fine in SF, just make an attempt to buy FOOD, not edible products. Even at Whole Foods and anything with an "organic" label on it, do not be fooled!
    Actually the first thing you need to investigate is farmer's markets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, there was a farmer's market right in front of work today (at the Embarcadero ferry). Looked good but man I forgot what it's like to go shopping when single--either you let tons of food spoil or you end up eating the same damn ingrediants every meal for days. Expect to see a lot more of those tortillas!

    Whole Foods is the bomb--don't know how I survived without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your sweat potato and raise you one... half!

    ReplyDelete